Jen's Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Spiritual Transformations: Living Now In Eternity

I have been reading the book Spiritual Transformations: Science, Religion and Human Becoming by Karl E. Peters. I picked it up on the new books shelf at the library for three reasons:
1) The title sounded interesting.
2) It was thin enough to get through by reading a bit each night before bed.
3) There was a beautiful picture of light shining through green trees on the cover.

I know--don't judge a book by it's cover.

I finally reached the last chapter today and wanted to comment on a couple things I read.
"Like the Taoist story of the climbing of Mt. Everest--a story of conquest or of befriending--the Christmas story that I heard and saw portrayed, presented to me two ways of living on the edge of time--living by the power that destroys in order to preserve itself, or by the love that enables all people to flourish and fulfill their potential."
  • I read this and had one of those moments where your brain is trying to take in the fullness of what you just read and still can't quite comprehend it, yet you love what it said. Isn't this the whole point--to lose ourselves in Christ and be so fully consumed by the Triune God that we let go of trying to secure our own lives and desires and live to love so that all around us might thrive?
"...being mindful of their needs and mindful of our limitations....Assuming whatever shape according to the conditions? That's playing when you think about it--the playing of young children. Becoming as a little child, Jesus says, one can enter the kingdom of heaven. When one becomes like this, one is living now in eternity."
  • Reminds me of Paul when he writes "For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings. (I Cor. 9.19-23)
  • Then there's this whole eternity piece; the idea that everything we do, no matter how insignificant we see it, is part of the cosmic work of God. We take part in this every day and moment, but we don't often realize it. That's what the mindfulness piece was about--being aware that we are here to serve others and in that we find our true selves and purpose is part of eternity...lived NOW.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home