Jen's Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cloak of Invisibility

I'm short--5'1" on a good day. Often conversations will literally go on over my head because people are generally quite a bit taller than I am (at least by 5-10" on average). I get that I'm not easily seen. Up until recently (within the last year), I haven't spoken much or voiced my thoughts/opinions out loud which has added a layer to my invisibility.

I'm reading a book called Difficult Conversations by Douglas Stone, Bruce Patton and Sheila Heen from the Harvard Negotiation Project. It's an easy read and quite insightful about what makes conversation and communication so difficult for people. They break it down into three basic parts that most conversations have:
1) "What Happened" Conversation
2) Feelings Conversation
3) Identity Conversation
The chapter I happened to read today was on listening. In a difficult conversation, focus on listening to learn about the other person because you genuinely want to learn and understand. If you can operate on that plane, people will feel heard, accepted and will be more likely to listen to what you are saying. That's great, makes sense and is extremely useful.

What bugs me is the idea that to be heard you must first surrender and listen to the other person. If I'm always the one listening, who will listen to me? When will I not be under the radar and be acknowledged as having a valid point and commentary--even if people don't agree with it??? When do I get to be cared for and appreciated?

Harry Potter uses his cloak when he wants to disappear. What about when you want to be seen?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home