Jen's Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Why Does Everything Seem To Be In Fast Forward?

Once again it's not even Thanksgiving and the economy and consumerism is pushing holiday shopping; more explicitly, Christmas. We haven't even given thanks for all the crap we've already accrued or even the blessings we've received and we're dead set on getting more--material goods, money, time, etc. I still have Halloween candy lying around!

Seriously. What's wrong with this picture? Isn't life changing fast enough for people? Or maybe we like the rush. We like not bothering to take time to reflect because then we might find out that we don't like how fast life is going and then we'll be responsible for doing something about it. We wouldn't want to dig up something from the past either because that would make us feel unsettled, uncomfortable and perhaps shamed/exposed. Remember when Christmas didn't start until after the Thanksgiving Day Parade? Yesterday I was in a cafe and heard at least 5 Christmas songs in the 5 hours I was there. Don't get me wrong. They were lovely songs and I'm excited to move into the season that celebrates life amidst death and light shining through darkness; just not at the expense of the present moment.

What ever happened to saying "thank you?" Isn't there a season for that anymore? What does that say about our lives and priorities?

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Karen Elizabeth said...

Hi! I hope everything is well. I haven't found a job yet, but I'm still looking like crazy. I'll have to give you a call soon. Must catch up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home