Jen's Blog

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Invitation To Rest

Whilst sitting in a Caribou café on a Sunday evening doing homework, I overheard two college aged women talking about their faith. One said to the other “I have been so amazed at the number of people God has been laying on my heart to pray for. Let me share them with you.” “Did you write all of them down?” “Of course! And where else but in the [inaudible] journal?”

The girl went on to talk about how God was calling her to pray for strength for some and spiritual awakening for others. There I sat in awe of what I was witnessing with my ears. Here were two people sharing prayer requests that had been derived from spending time in God’s presence listening. I began to long for the days when I used to do that; to sit and rest in God’s presence just to be with God and to hear what God had to say. That’s what you do in relationships that matter. You listen to each other. I’ve known that this has been lacking from my life for a while now. It’s all too easy to sellout and reprioritize other peoples’ priorities over time spent with God. There is work to be done: papers to be written, books to read and analyze, spreadsheets to be organized, mailings to be prepared, bills to pay, sermons to create, projects to be tended to and a long list of other things that are “important.” I’m reminded of the saying that one who is too busy to pray is too busy. Or the saying that “I have so much to do today I’ll have to pray twice as long!”

Perhaps that’s why I chose to spend time talking with a couple of people after church today and going to lunch with them instead of going straight to errands and doing homework. What’s more important—relationships with people or projects?; time listening to God or fretting over the long laundry list of things to be done?

Which reminds me: I need to do laundry tonight.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Karen Elizabeth said...

Did you vote? I did last week, so today isn't as exciting for me. My mom, dad and grandma fly to Arizona tonight, so I'm house/cow sitting for the next four days. Yay! Still applying for jobs. I should call you. I've been not returning calls all week...grr.. hate it when I do that. Miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home