Jen's Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Story of Generosity

Remember when you were 10 years old? When the question was first asked, nothing came to mind. After a few minutes I remembered that one of my cousins came home from the NICU on my 10th birthday. That was a really cool birthday present to hold him in my arms without any cords or tubes attached to him.

Tonight I tagged along with Mark on one of his stewardship visits. This was one of the starter questions that came up because one of the daughters of the couple we visited, Alyssa, is 10. It was truly amazing to sit with this family who I barely know and to hear them speak so openly, honestly and boldly about their faith and life together. They teach their kids about giving generously of their time and lives. They model and work with their kids to give anonymously and love those around them; even the neighbors nearby who have written angry letters to them about their dogs barking excessively. This family teaches their kids about giving, saving and spending money. Each one of them lives their faith in their own unique way. Alyssa went to Mark one Sunday at church and told him she wanted to start a project at her school to raise money to build a well for a village in Bangladesh. She had hoped that Mark would ask the Living Water group to help fund her idea. Tonight while Mark and I were talking with her parents she was working on a powerpoint presentation for the well project. Alyssa's 10 years old and she has an inspiring vision of what the kingdom of God looks like here on Earth.

Their stories stirred me deep inside. I wish I had such life and faith nurturing when I was growing up. I wish someone had taught me what it means to live out your faith when I was Alyssa's age. While I am in awe at how faithful this family is, I feel as if I'm light years behind them. How can I lead a people when I seem too inexperienced and stupidly inept? How can I be authentic with where I'm at in life (and how little I understand) and yet speak to where other people are at in life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home