Jen's Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Scenic Route to the Capitol

There is life outside the four walls of Trinity. I was privileged to spend all day Tuesday in Olympia, WA at the state capitol. We left the church at 7am and down in Renton at the 5-405 interchange we started heading north again. When I mentioned we were in Bellevue, I navigated our driver west on 520 back to 5 and heading south again. This time we took the right exit and made our way to Olympia. Any trip I'm on involves at least one turn around. Fortunately we only missed opening comments and worship.

Back in 8th grade I vaguely remember we were supposed to learn the basics of government. Apparently it didn't stick in my brain. However, earlier this week it all finally clicked. Government is made up of people making decisions on behalf of others for the sake of the rest of the community they represent. Brilliant I know, but better to learn it late than never.

Advocacy and politics are not my strong suits. This day was extremely helpful in identifying concrete ways I can be involved in being responsible for the well being of others and why it's important to pay attention to these topics. At least for one day I didn't feel like unnecessary furniture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home