Jen's Blog

Sunday, August 03, 2008

A Birthday to Remember

Okay so it's not official yet because it isn't until 9:16am tomorrow morning, but in my family we celebrate a birthday week not just a day. First off was a BBQ at the McCullough's house on Saturday. I didn't realize I would end up being the star of the get together, but it was fun to celebrate my birthday family style--gathered with those who I've grown to love over this year and with whom I share some deep connections. The highlights include a huge bunch of birthday balloons, delicious food, great conversation, a huge cake with raspberry filling and chocolate frosting, Dad (aka Dick McC.) coming in at the last minute to break out an emergency candle to light for my cake :), cards with goodies in them and best of all a long conversation with Sue and Dick about how I've ended up where I am today. It was a wonderful night.

Today at church I shared leftover birthday cake for the morning coffee shindig and whilst I was worshiping God with the McCulloughs amongst others, my intern committee secretly brought in a chocolate cake with delicious frosting, a card and a balloon. I didn't know about it until after the 3rd service because I ended up talking to people and getting ready for the last service. After the potluck with the Chinese congregation, Kirsti from my intern committee brought me one of the best gifts I think I've ever gotten on my birthday--flowers. No one ever buys me flowers and I never get them for my birthday. I was so surprised and grateful. Now carrying around flowers (very fragrant lilies) people in the narthex began to notice and they all sang happy birthday to me.

None of this includes tomorrow's festivities which I will blog about then. You'll just have to wait for the 2nd edition...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger Megan's Blog said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it is a fantabulously awesome day!!!! Can't wait to see you soon!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home