Jen's Blog

Monday, October 01, 2007

Music to My Ears

In the last couple of days I have discovered how powerful music is in my life. I’ve always been aware of how important and engaging music is for me, but until recently I hadn’t realized the depth to which singing is soul mending for me. When I don’t feel good or “quite right” I usually turn to music to express with words the emotions I sometimes cannot name right away. Inevitably there is something in my playlist that just hits the spot for me. Generally when I’m feeling down I like to listen to some more sad songs to speak how I feel. In the last couple weeks I’ve found that I have been craving songs of praise to God; a far cry from the anxiety I’ve been harboring. Something inside me craved to sing praise despite my inner turmoil. I keep coming back to the story in Acts (16.25) where Paul and Silas are in the inner most cell of a prison singing praises to God. It must have been a dark, lonely and depressing place. Plus they had been flogged prior to entering the jail. Out of such pain, agony and despair came praise to God. The whole concept is quite mysterious to me. All I know is that it’s true as I have borne witness to the Spirit at work in me drawing out praise I could otherwise not give.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home