Jen's Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hot Stuff

Today I helped co-lead the Sunday services. This morning at 7:30am it seemed as though this was going to be an insurmountable task. I was opting for death instead of “death in the pulpit” as one of my professors refers to it. Difficult as I thought it would be, I had to do surprisingly little. I’m not even sure what I was so freaked out about this morning. As soon as I started speaking and realized that I was doing fine, I calmed down. I suppose part of it is that I’m still not 100%--maybe about 75% at best. Normally leading worship wouldn’t be such an overwhelming task. It’s not like I haven’t done it before and even at strange places where I know no one.

After the first one, things went smoothly. Well, except for one of the communion servers missing at the 9am service and the acolyte’s light blowing out at the start of the 10:30am service and having to fill in for the assistant to collect the offering plates and during communion because she was singing at both times. So we had a little bit of everything today it seems. I just wish it wasn’t so hot in the sanctuary. They keep it at about 77F. It’s down right tropical in there!! Either I’m trying not to fall asleep or not to sweat to death and pass out. Those robes are like wool blankets!

Baking Mishap

This afternoon I am off to a “meet and greet” picnic with the pastors in the surrounding area. Apparently they want to meet the new people. Paul informs me that I am invited. I decided to go with a pan of brownies as my contribution. They were supposed to be caramel swirl.

Brownie lesson #1: When the box says knead the packet, the box means it.

What was supposed to swirls ended up being caramel glops. From what I can tell, a few people will get mostly caramel and others will get mostly brownie. At least they’ll taste good…heh heh heh.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Karen Elizabeth said...

AHH!! Now I want to eat a brownie or some caramel. Boo you for talking about things that are hard to find here. But yeah for people who get to eat your baking!! I'm so glad that worship went well. I thought about you like a million times on sunday. I was nervous myself, just thinking about what it would be like to co-lead the first service in my internship congregation. I decided I would either run for it or die. AND I'm in another country and I felt that way about something I didn't have to do...so your opening jitters were definitely justifiable, while mine were not.
A big p.s. I listened to Dr. Koester's sermon this last week, which is online. You MUST listen to it. It is a GREAT sermon about beginning new things and Jesus. Great, absolutely what I needed...and plus its Koester. you just can't go wrong. This is getting long for a comment, so I'll be done...but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home