Jen's Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Scripture Stalking

There are three texts in the bible that seem to chase me down constantly. They do it slyly and quietly and then suddenly...BAM!! There they are. Contestant #1: John 20 (Jesus gives peace and shows scars to disciples and Thomas). Contestant #2: Luke 4:18-19 i.e. Isaiah 61:1-2 (Spirit is upon me to proclaim release to captives, bind up brokenhearted, etc.). Contestant #3: 2 Corinthians 4:7-12 (treasure in clay jars). Somehow it is comforting to continually be pursued by scripture. They have become close friends to me carrying me through down times and proclaiming celebration over me in times of joy.

Today as I was writing my pastoral care paper I came across the Luke/Isaiah and the 2 Cor. texts again. I am quoting the first as a start to a section of the paper. Which I would have had difficulty doing without my handy BW7 (bibleworks) software. I bought it last year. Just installed it today. Cause what's the rush really??? Now, however, I am a bible footnoting machine! HA! Funny paper too. It's all about Jesus--not so much "pastoral care." But really, is there any better balm in Gilead than the Word of God? I think not. Fortunately salvation is a person who comes and gets me and not a destination to which I must travel. Otherwise, I'd never get there--ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home