Jen's Blog

Monday, July 17, 2006

Movie Thoughts

This weekend I spent a lot of time watching movies. See there are many hours in the day to fill and not many things to fill them with. I watched some from my collection (Pirates of the Carribean, The Lady and the Highwayman, Pride and Prejudice, Matrix Revolutions) because there was nothing on tv except golf and car racing. I even cleaned my apartment and was still in want of things to fill my days. Naturally it was too hot to be outside (high 90's-low 100's with very high humidity--~60%) though I was extremely excited to use the rollerblades I'd picked up from the free room. Pays to keep tabs on that room.

Pirates: Dead Man's Chest
Very good. Extremely different from the first. The second was much darker than the first. More deception and reality to what life as a pirate was like--as opposed to the quaint romanticized version in the first. It was good for that, but I wasn't expecting it. I don't want to ruin the movie if you haven't seen it, but the kiss that Elizabeth gives to someone--you'll know the one I mean when you see it--could have been more passionate. It seemed kind of...eh. It didn't live up to the expectations the plot carved out for it. And the result of said kiss ushered in a very adult theme of jealousy, betrayal and all around heartbrokeness for one character. It fit the plot and movie well, but again, a surprise. Certainly a movie I will be adding to my collection and watching again. Gotta love the quippy, witty jokes, physical comedy and hilarity of really bad situations. Can't wait for #3!!

Friends with Money
I had read some reviews and was turned against it, but still wanted to see it. It was actually amazingly good. Most reviewers compared Jennifer Aniston's role to the one she did in The Good Girl, but Friends with Money was way better. It had far more depth and insight. The issues addressed were really good. Ever felt like you were out of the loop with your friends? Ever not meshed well with society's expectations? Ever not been able to find a decent relationship with a guy? Ever done things for reasons that no one else seems to understand? Then this movie is definitely for you.

I came home from the movie and wrote:
Did you ever feel like life just kind of slows down sometimes and you can/get to look around at things? Like you get a glimpse of what life is really like. That you can see things for what they really are. Suddenly your vision is clear and you can see what is going on with crystal clarity.

4 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger yup said...

i wish my brain thought like yours did... ever... just once... for like a day...

sorry, my phone died last night... then suddenly i couldn't find my charger, so i leaned over and instantly fell asleep... the goober I am... oi vey...

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger yup said...

i wish my brain thought like yours did... ever... just once... for like a day...

sorry, my phone died last night... then suddenly i couldn't find my charger, so i leaned over and instantly fell asleep... the goober I am... oi vey...

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger yup said...

i wish my brain thought like yours did... ever... just once... for like a day...

sorry, my phone died last night... then suddenly i couldn't find my charger, so i leaned over and instantly fell asleep... the goober I am... oi vey...

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger yup said...

apparently i had issues posting a thought there, eh? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home